Welcome : OCN Public Services : Faith
Church of the Messiah
Phone: (204) 623 5750
Church of the Redeemer
Phone: (204) 623-2999
Click here to download A Story of Two Stars Part 1
Weekly Spiritual Thought
Scripture Reading: Psalm 136
GOD'S LOVE NEVER FAILS
1. Praise the Lord! He is good. God's love never fails.
2. Praise the God of all gods. God's love never fails.
3. Praise the Lord of lords! God's love never fails.
4. Only God works great miracles. God's love never fails.
5. With wisdom he made the sky. God's love never fails.
6. The Lord stretched the earth over the ocean. God's love never fails.
Love Never Fails
We notice that three words repeat throughout
this Psalm - “Love Never Fails”. There may be times
in our lives when it seems that things don't go exactly
as we would like. We may even feel that God has
failed us. Often, when we have some time and
distance from those situations, we see that God knew
what we did not see and that his love didn't fail us
after all. God's word is true and we can be certain that
he does not fail. Praise God because his love never fails.
Submitted by Reverend Gloria Lavallee
THANKS, HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!
History of the Churches
The community of Opaskwayak was concerned about our Spiritual
well-being. The only church on the reserve was located at Fisher Island in Big Eddy. It was a stone church made by our people but not run by our people. The community reacted by gathering together deciding on building our own church, and run by our own people. When all the planning stages were completely discussed, it was now time to choose a designer. In the spring of 1919, Sarah McGillvary was handed the honor of planning and designing the communities first holy church. The church was to be located in Big Eddy! more specifically in Cow Head. The population at this time wasn't as large as it is today, it was estimated at about 500 people or less. When Sarah's task was completed it was now time for the people to choose the best, hard working carpenters in the community. The job was asking for at least 16 men to start and finish what was to become an important and precious part of our community. The 16 men consisted of two foremen and 14 carpenters. The two foreman were Chief Patrick Constant and Joseph McGillvary, the foremen decided on two crews. Pat would instruct, while Joe would do the same for the other 7. Joseph's crew members were, Charlie Lathlin, Tom Henderson, Lazarus Harris, Donald Lathlin, William Lathlin and
Lawrence Lathlin, these 7 men were in charge of the Church of Redeemer.
Church Of Redeemer and
Church Of Messiah
The Church of Redeemer, located
in the Big Eddy Settlement, served this
Predominantly Anglican community for
73 years. It was the first Anglican Church
to be built in the Opaskwayak Cree Nation
in 1923. The Church of Redeemer has
had an interesting history which included
a visit from Queen Elizabeth II during
Canada's Centennial Celebrations. The
Churches (Church of Messiah and Church
of Redeemer) were built by the late Joe
McGillivary and the late Pat Constant,
"along with two crews of band members in
1919. Joe and Pat headed up the projects.
In 1994, the aged church of Redeemer,
was declared structurally unsafe and it was
Subsequently closed due to the foundation
being rotted away beyond repair and the
roof was capitulating dangerously. Both
Churches Messiah and Redeemer were
Consecrated in 1923.
In 1994, after they had closed
down the Church of Redeemer,
construction of the new 100 ft by 36 ft
Church began, just a few yards away from
where the old church stood. The new
building would seat about 200
parishioners -twice the seating capacity of
the old church. The only place for
congregation worship was the Parish Hall,
which has been attached to the new
Member's of the congregation tried
to have the old church declared a
historical landmark, however the effort
was abandoned, and demolition of the
church began. Officials stated that it
would be too dangerous, since children
often wander around the premises. Since
then, they have been able to save and
remove the stained glass windows, altar
and pews, which are now being used in
the new Church of Redeemer.
On Wednesday, September 10, 1996, the
new Church of Redeemer was officially
opened. Funds for the church came from
specific land claim settlements which
amounted to $260,000 and tax revenues.
The construction of Church of
Messiah took place in 1919. The building
took 5 years to build because the
construction crew, the late Joe
McGillivary and the late Pat Constant,
along with two crews of band members,
were building the Church of Redeemer at
the same time. At the finishing stage of
the building, the Church of Messiah was
consecrated in 1923. The Church of
Messiah was of Anglican religion and
served the community of Opaskwayak
Cree Nation for 63 years, before being
desolated in 1986, due to the building
Another Church of Messiah was in
process of being constructed in 1989,just
a couple of yards away from the old
Church of the Messiah. Plans for the Church
of the Messiah included, a kitchen, basement,
landscaping, better lighting system, and a
garage for a van the church plans on
purchasing. The van would be used to
pick up people who need a ride to attend
Later in 1997, it was announced
that the Church of Messiah was in need of
major repairs, so the band went on to give
the church a new look, and the church is
now in quality shape.
Today, both the Church of
Messiah and the Church of Redeemer
continue to serve all members of the
Opaskwayak Cree Nation, and for many
years to come.